Visiting Bird-in-Hand can seem like a magical experience: just minutes from city nightlife and bustling shopping centers, the world suddenly turns peaceful and quiet. The calming, rolling farmland creates a perfect backdrop for bonding with loved ones. It’s the ideal place to bring the whole family for a week or for couples to savor some time away for the weekend.
You’ll find that Bird-in-Hand is full of welcoming people who would love to have you stay for a while. Whether you have one day or a whole week to spend with us, it’s a great place to experience unique Lancaster attractions. Plus, we can’t forget all the delicious Amish cooking! Whether you try a whoopie pie (trust us, you’ll be in for a treat) or a full Amish feast, you’ll be experiencing some of the best food you’ve ever eaten.
One-Day Lancaster Attractions
Bird-in-Hand is located close to Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York City, and Washington D.C., so day trips are a fantastic way to visit Lancaster! Visitors on quick trips to Lancaster still have enough time to experience a buggy ride, get a peek at how the Amish live and pick up some handcrafted goods to take home.
- Amish Country Buggy Rides are the most authentic way you can see Lancaster County: in a horse-drawn carriage, just like the Amish use.
- Visit the Bird-in-Hand Farmers Market for handcrafted gifts, home-baked whoopie pies, and other delicious goods you can only find in Lancaster County.
- The Amish Village gives visitors a look at what it’s like to live on an Amish farm. This immersive experience is one of the most popular Lancaster attractions for a reason!
- The Bird-in-Hand Bakery & Cafe’s shoofly pie is a must-visit for Lancaster sightseeing. Stop in for a taste of this unique sweet pie and get one shipped right to your home!
Long Weekends in Lancaster
Spending two or three days in Bird-in-Hand will give you time to enjoy many of Lancaster’s attractions at a relaxed pace. In addition to doing all of the best day trip activities, you can add in home-cooked meals or a more personalized Lancaster Amish tour.
- Guided tours by the Mennonite Information Center or Bird-in-Hand Family Inn (exclusive for guests!) are one of the best ways to get insider knowledge about our unique area.
- The Bird-in-Hand Artisan Village offers a unique shopping experience, with high-quality handcrafted goods from local artisans displayed in a historic setting dating back to the 19th century. Visitors can meet the makers, watch them at work, and easily browse an array of merchandise, including furniture, artwork, leather goods, and more.
- Bird-in-Hand Family Restaurant & Smorgasbord dining is better than any buffet you’ve been to before! Get a taste of all the Pennsylvania Dutch-style home cooking your heart —or stomach — could desire
- Guests of all lodging properties are invited to learn about Amish culture first-hand from the Smuckers, owners of Bird-in-Hand, as they share insights into the history and beliefs of the Amish and Mennonite community, including mutual aid, community patterns, peace traditions, and education. The conversation will also include a question and answer session, offering a unique opportunity to engage with and learn from the local experts.
A Week in Amish Country
Visiting for a week or more is the best way to experience all the Lancaster fun there is to be had! Spend some more time at the farmers’ market, try your hand at traditional Amish crafts, and if you’re feeling extra adventurous, try a unique Lancaster Amish tour by bicycle.
- Learn about Amish quilting at the Mennonite Information Center and contribute your own square to a quilt that will raise money for a charitable organization.
- The Bird-in-Hand Stage delivers wholesome and heartwarming productions for the whole family, paired with a delicious Pennsylvania Dutch feast before or after the show!
- Take an Amish dinner tour by bicycle and experience a home-cooked meal with a local Amish family. Bikes are included for the eight-mile ride.
- Go on an adventure with Strasburg Scooters. Explore the backroads, covered bridges, and other hidden treasures through the beautiful Amish Farmland on a guided scooter.
- See the Amish Country like never before – from the sky! If you’re looking for the top outdoor things to do in Lancaster, PA, Lancaster Balloon Rides will have you soaring over rolling farmland in an exciting, picture-perfect way. If you’re staying with us, add this high-soaring adventure as part of your experience.
Lancaster Fun for Groups
Nearly all Lancaster attractions can accommodate any number of travelers. However, some experiences are best had in a group! These educational — and delicious — events are an unforgettable way to bond with friends, coworkers, and family members.
- Experience an Amish wedding feast styled dinner and learn about this community tradition from your New Order Amish host.
- The Everyday Life of An Amish Woman is an immersive piece of theater that will entertain and educate your group about what it’s like to live and work in the Amish community.
- Join the Smuckers on the family farm for The Cornfield Banquet. The banquet serves up delicious farm-fresh meals (served under a tent between the rows of corn) and offers a taste of Amish Country you’ll never forget.
Planning a Trip to Amish Country
Whether you’re just stopping by for a day or letting us welcome you to our town for a week or more, the Bird-in-Hand Family Inn is a great place to start planning your trip full of memories. The friendly owners and staff can help you pick the best Lancaster attractions for your visit, from educational experiences to eating all the great food…or both! Start planning your trip to Amish Country today.