This two-part commemorative book tells of the story of the Smucker Family and how they’ve shared their land and way of life to thousands of visitors to the Village of Bird-in-Hand. Learn how Lancaster County Tourism started as a result of a Broadway Show, how the Smucker Family opened a hotel and restaurant along a country road, how they’ve created events that include visiting local farms and eating in a cornfield and about the deep-rooted and cherished traditions that have defined the family.
The Bird-in-Hand Story is available now on our online store.
In the Business section, learn how…
- Lancaster County tourism started as the result of a Broadway show
- the Smucker Family successfully opened a motel and restaurant along a country road
- in 50 years of business, they have developed authentic Lancaster County experiences for the guests, like eating in a cornfield and touring local farms
In the Family section, read about…
- how and why the Schmuckers, as Amish Anabaptists, immigrated from Switzerland to America
- the Smucker Family’s life on the Homestead including untimely deaths, renewed spirituality and warm hospitality
- deep rootedness and cherished traditions that have defined the family